Definition of gypsy moth in English:
A tussock moth having a brown male and larger white female. The caterpillar can be a serious pest of orchards and woodland.
- Lymantria dispar, family Lymantriidae
- Over the past 100 years, more than 20 biocontrol fly species have been released in Massachusetts for a variety of pests, including the browntail moth, the gypsy moth, and the Japanese beetle.
- Other pests include gypsy moth caterpillars, gall midge, and scale.
- The caterpillars of the gypsy moth are destructive defoliators that feed primarily on oak trees causing growth loss, crown dieback, and tree mortality.
Definition of gypsy moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan