Definition of habituation in English:
1The action of habituating or the condition of being habituated.
- It has never been as painstaking as this habituation process.
- However, taken together, the large number of empirical similarities suggests strongly that common processes contribute to habituation and extinction.
- Instead, lower level processes, such as habituation, may contribute.
1.1 Psychology The diminishing of a physiological or emotional response to a frequently repeated stimulus.
- Almost every species studied, from amoeba to man, exhibits some form of habituation when the stimulus is frequently repeated or constantly applied.
- As a result, conditioned responding should decrease during extinction as habituation occurs to the stimuli that support conditioned responding.
- One possible explanation for this finding is that long-term habituation accumulates with successive stimulus exposures and survives the lengthy time between trials.
Definition of habituation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia