Definition of habituation in English:
1The action of habituating or the condition of being habituated.
- It has never been as painstaking as this habituation process.
- However, taken together, the large number of empirical similarities suggests strongly that common processes contribute to habituation and extinction.
- Instead, lower level processes, such as habituation, may contribute.
1.1 Psychology The diminishing of a physiological or emotional response to a frequently repeated stimulus.
- Almost every species studied, from amoeba to man, exhibits some form of habituation when the stimulus is frequently repeated or constantly applied.
- As a result, conditioned responding should decrease during extinction as habituation occurs to the stimuli that support conditioned responding.
- One possible explanation for this finding is that long-term habituation accumulates with successive stimulus exposures and survives the lengthy time between trials.
Definition of habituation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.