Definition of hacktivist in English:
A computer hacker whose activity is aimed at promoting a social or political cause.
- This political and social awareness, as well as how the awareness is acted upon, separates hacktivists from other hackers, those that are young and hacking for fun, and those that are hacking to cause damage or steal for personal gain.
- In the so-called ‘land of the free, home of the brave,’ courageous protestors and hacktivists are finding that their available avenues for protest are fewer and farther between.
- This is understandable, since it is indeed the goal of hacktivists to identify their acts as such, just like criminal activity is defined so upon the very nature of goals aimed or achieved.
1990s: blend of hacker and activist.
- Example sentences
- She does differentiate among online activism, hacktivism, and cyberterrorism based on the severity of the activity's impact on the normal operation of target systems.
- This paper provides a thorough analysis of the mainstream media representation of hackers, hacking, hacktivism, and cyberterrorism.
- A related concept is hacktivism, which can be defined as political motivated hacking or cracking.
Definition of hacktivist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia