1That property or quality of a thing by virtue of which it is unique or describable as “this (one).”.
- For historical reasons, such a property is called a haecceity -- literally, a ‘thisness.’
- Understanding concepts in his philosophy (eg., faciality, virtuality, haecceity, types of becoming, and rhizome) is important as they provide to entry points into some of the issues under examination.
- Although it might seem to be a highly fanciful notion, it is hardly more fanciful than some haecceity theories which employ the same distinction, nor perhaps than some possible worlds theories either.
1.1The property of being a unique and individual thing.
- It is the entire assemblage in its individuated aggregate that is a haecceity; it is this assemblage that is defined by a longitude and a latitude, by speeds and affects, independently of forms and subjects, which belong to another plane.
- There's the haecceity, the isness, the standing reserve, that's one thing: the world.
- The haecceity of a thing is what makes this particular thing what it is in particular.
Definition of haecceity in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.