Definition of hagfish in English:
noun (plural same or hagfishes)
A primitive jawless marine vertebrate distantly related to the lampreys, with a slimy eellike body, a slitlike mouth surrounded by barbels, and a rasping tongue used for feeding on dead or dying fish.
- Class Myxini and family Myxinidae: several genera, in particular Myxine, and numerous species
- In contrast, the vertebrate insulin gene became a metabolic regulatory action of insulin early during vertebrate evolution since insulin regulates glucose homeostasis even in hagfishes and lampreys.
- These first vertebrates lacked jaws, like the living hagfish and lampreys.
- They are represented now only by the lampreys, eel-like forms that are parasites on fish, and the hagfish, also eel-like but feeding on dead or dying animals.
Definition of hagfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.