Definition of hair-raising in English:
Extremely alarming, astonishing, or frightening: hair-raising adventures
More example sentences
- A family is setting off on what many would consider a hair-raising adventure by upping roots and moving to the other side of the globe.
- The howling of the sirens, which shriek to announce the beginning and end of each air raid alarm, merge into a single, hair-raising noise.
- Even within such parameters I have had plenty of adventures of my own abroad, some more hair-raising than others.
- Example sentences
- But it is true that there are fewer absolutely lousy frontbench speakers these days, just as much as there are fewer hair-raisers.
- This includes aquarium hair-raisers that are planned for small, large, and medium sized fish tanks.
- By the end of this film I was so thoroughly engrossed that when the final sequence - a hair-raiser to end all hair-raisers - arrived, I was reduced to a whimpering, shivering wreck.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.