Definition of hair trigger in English:
1A trigger of a firearm set for release at the slightest pressure.
- It had a hair trigger, and the gun went off, still pointing toward the ceiling.
- Their new idea was that the feedback mechanism had a hair trigger set off by ocean currents.
- Being drunk always made his emotions on a hair trigger and his control over them lax.
1.1 (as modifier hair-trigger) Liable to change suddenly and violently: a hair-trigger temper
More example sentences
- This is a post about the hair-trigger temper of a populace under the twin pressures of occupation and random horrible violence.
- He was an intense little man with a hair-trigger temper, but he was quite serious about the costumes he built and the way he performed in them.
- E-mail's stripped-down, free-form nature sets off workers' hair-trigger responses and lends itself to venting rude behavior, much as road rage overtakes people in the bubble of their cars.
Definition of hair trigger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan