1A U-shaped pin for fastening the hair.
- Spark some interest with an ornate hairpin, barrette or ponytail holder like these 24k gold-dipped pieces.
- This is a holiday hairstyle where decorative hairpins are a must!
- Women can't use hairpins to keep their hair together; it's too painful.
1.1 [usually as modifier] A sharp U-shaped curve in a road: I was driving up the hairpins that mark the beginning of the Simplon Pass a long series of hairpin turns on roads cut into the mountainside
More example sentences
- I learn I can take the second bend of the racetrack flat out, banking the bike over as I sweep round then opening the throttle full for the long straight that follows, slowing only for the sharp double hairpin at the end.
- When the race hit the hills, though, those roads - full of hairpin turns like they were - really strung the peloton out up and down the climbs.
- This sharp, right-hand hairpin, which poses a difficult braking manoeuvre as you swing round 180-degrees is taken at 48 km/h in first gear.
Definition of hairpin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.