Definition of hakim in English:
1A physician using traditional remedies in India and Muslim countries.
[from Arabic ḥakīm 'wise man, physician']
- Of those women who had reproductive health problems and availed treatment, over 7.5 per cent took the advice of private valid hakim healer.
- The family also consulted their local hakim, who said there was no health problem and he need not undergo any treatment.
- Though Britishers believed in allopathic treatment, tabibs and hakims earned a respectful place by treating major illness which surprised allopathic doctors.
2A judge, ruler, or governor in India and Muslim countries.
[from Arabic ḥākim 'ruler']
- By the same token, the marriages performed by wali hakim appointed by the government were then accepted as lawful.
- However, a hukm can only be issued by the hakim and it is to be observed by other jursiprudents and their followers, and even supersedes their own fatwas.
Definition of hakim in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan