nounMusic , chiefly North American
- A note having the time value of two quarter notes or half of a whole note, represented by a ring with a stem.More example sentences
- Rhythmic values are quarter, eighth and half notes, and only the major finger pattern is used in the first chorale.
- The aptly titled Creepy Crotchets is written almost entirely in quarter-note values, with occasional half notes, and is based on the familiar creepy minor arpeggiated chord theme.
- Contrapunctus I, which exposes the subject in its original form (do-sol-me-do-ti-do-re-me-fa-me-re-do), was played in a slow tempo, with an almost dry separation of the initial four half notes each time the subject or answer appeared.
More definitions of half noteDefinition of half note in:
- The British & World English dictionary