A pair of lockable linked metal rings for securing a prisoner’s wrists.
- He waved a pair of handcuffs under his prisoner's nose, forcing him to notice the razor sharp inner edges.
- It's not until they are carrying me away, not until I can feel the cold metal of the handcuffs biting into my wrists, that it sinks in I just shot Santa Claus.
- I suddenly felt cold metal handcuffs slap on my wrists.
Put handcuffs on (someone): he was led into court handcuffed to a policeman figurative he will not allow his training to handcuff his creativity
More example sentences
- Inside, a lone police officer is handcuffed to a bed with no other person on board.
- Prisoners are routinely handcuffed to basketball hoops and hung for 30 days or longer.
- She asked him to get out of the cruiser after she arrested him, and she then searched him and handcuffed him.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.