(also hansom cab)
- A two-wheeled horse-drawn carriage accommodating two inside, with the driver seated behind.More example sentences
- Far into the distance curved the line of flickering gas-lamps, and outside a little walled-in house stood a solitary hansom, the driver asleep inside.
- I spied a steam engine I could use to fashion a turret, and boiler plates could be secured inside the hansom to armor us from their fell weapons.
- He goes to Bond Street and hails a hansom, tells the driver an address, and gives him some extra money when the driver tells him it is too far.
mid 19th century: named after Joseph A. Hansom (1803–82), English architect, patentee of such a cab in 1834.
More definitions of hansomDefinition of hansom in:
- The British & World English dictionary