- A virus of a genus carried by rodents and causing various febrile hemorrhagic diseases, often with kidney damage or failure.More example sentences
- Mammals are the most common reservoirs of zoonotic disease, and rodents play the leading role, implicated in the spread of plague, Lyme disease, hantavirus and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is associated with higher mortality than HFRS, was first recognized as a hantavirus disease in 1993, and occurs within the American continents.
- The molecular techniques will include primers that can identify Thottapalayam virus, the only hantavirus isolate from India.
1980s: from Hantaan (the name of a river in Korea where the virus was first isolated) + virus.
More definitions of hantavirusDefinition of hantavirus in:
- The British & World English dictionary