Relating to or denoting cichlid fishes of a large and diverse group that are particularly abundant in the large lakes of East Africa.
- To test this prediction, we conducted an interspecific female mate choice experiment on four closely related haplochromine cichlid species from Lake Malawi.
- Our survey of mtDNA control region sequences in lacustrine and fluviatile haplochromine cichlids of the Lake Victoria basin revealed the existence of seven major haplogroups, designated I through VII.
- Frans Witte and Kees Barel document the mass extinction of haplochromine cichlids in Lake Victoria, Africa.
A haplochromine fish.
- Haplochromis and related genera, family Cichlidae.
- Fish in the genus Rastrineobola are very common in the diet in terms of occurrence, and are second to haplochromines.
- The adults of both species have an average standard body length of 55 mm and hence belong to the category of small haplochromines.
- The DNA sequences available for Lake Victoria haplochromines include 56 specimens of 24 described plus 9 undescribed species.
From the modern Latin genus name.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of haplochromine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.