- Of, relating to, or denoting cichlid fishes of a large and diverse group that are particularly abundant in the large lakes of East Africa.More example sentences
- To test this prediction, we conducted an interspecific female mate choice experiment on four closely related haplochromine cichlid species from Lake Malawi.
- Our survey of mtDNA control region sequences in lacustrine and fluviatile haplochromine cichlids of the Lake Victoria basin revealed the existence of seven major haplogroups, designated I through VII.
- Frans Witte and Kees Barel document the mass extinction of haplochromine cichlids in Lake Victoria, Africa.
nounBack to top
- A haplochromine fish.
More example sentences
- Haplochromis and related genera, family Cichlidae
- Fish in the genus Rastrineobola are very common in the diet in terms of occurrence, and are second to haplochromines.
- The adults of both species have an average standard body length of 55 mm and hence belong to the category of small haplochromines.
- The DNA sequences available for Lake Victoria haplochromines include 56 specimens of 24 described plus 9 undescribed species.
from the modern Latin genus name.
More definitions of haplochromineDefinition of haplochromine in:
- The British & World English dictionary