(Chiefly of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form is haploid, with a diploid zygote being formed only briefly. Compare with diplontic and diplohaplontic.
More example sentences
- Most are saprophytic similar to true fungi. v. Sexual life cycle is diplontic, fungi have haplontic cycle.
- The life-cycle is of haplontic type showing alternation of dominant haploid stage with short-lived diploid stage.
- This pattern is reverse of haplontic type.
- More example sentences
- Coexistence of sexual and asexual reproduction within the same individual is an intriguing problem, especially when it concerns homothallic haplonts, like the fungus Aspergillus nidulans.
- The haploid filamentous plants are known as haplonts which reproduce asexually by zoospores or aplanospores producing the individuals like parents.
- The individuals or cells as a result of mitosis are haplonts, hence this life cycle is also called haplontic life cycle.
Definition of haplontic in:
- The British & World English dictionary