Definition of harebell in English:
A widely distributed bellflower with slender stems and pale blue flowers in late summer. Also called bluebell, especially in Scotland.
- Campanula rotundifolia, family Campanulaceae
- Purple gentians and orchids, blue scabious and harebells, orange hawkweeds, and cream and pink yarrow provide a kaleidoscope of colour to enjoy at the end of your walk.
- Blue harebells and spring squill grew along the cliff path.
- Yorkshire folk turned prickly yesterday after a wild flower charity announced that the common harebell had replaced the white rose as the county's floral emblem.
Middle English: probably so named because it is found growing in places frequented by hares.
Definition of harebell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan