Definition of harebell in English:
A widely distributed bellflower with slender stems and pale blue flowers in late summer. Also called bluebell, especially in Scotland.
- Campanula rotundifolia, family Campanulaceae
- Purple gentians and orchids, blue scabious and harebells, orange hawkweeds, and cream and pink yarrow provide a kaleidoscope of colour to enjoy at the end of your walk.
- Blue harebells and spring squill grew along the cliff path.
- Yorkshire folk turned prickly yesterday after a wild flower charity announced that the common harebell had replaced the white rose as the county's floral emblem.
Middle English: probably so named because it is found growing in places frequented by hares.
Words that rhyme with harebellbarbell • decibel • doorbell
Definition of harebell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.