Definition of harp seal in English:
A slender North Atlantic seal that typically has a dark harp-shaped mark on its gray back.
- Pagophilus groenlandicus, family Phocidae
- The harp seal and the minke whale together consume about the same amount of biomass as the Norwegian fishermen land, i.e. about 3 million tonnes.
- These on-shore sightings may represent part of a general southward shift in the winter habitat of the harp seal noted in the early to mid 1990s in the open waters off Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The curious bearded seal and harp seal birth their pups nearby ice floes or merely bask in the warmth of the midnight sun.
Definition of harp seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.