Definition of harp seal in English:
A slender North Atlantic seal that typically has a dark harp-shaped mark on its gray back.
- Pagophilus groenlandicus, family Phocidae
- The harp seal and the minke whale together consume about the same amount of biomass as the Norwegian fishermen land, i.e. about 3 million tonnes.
- These on-shore sightings may represent part of a general southward shift in the winter habitat of the harp seal noted in the early to mid 1990s in the open waters off Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The curious bearded seal and harp seal birth their pups nearby ice floes or merely bask in the warmth of the midnight sun.
Definition of harp seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan