- An adult male deer, especially a red deer over five years old.More example sentences
- The Arthurian legends are widespread in the Borders and it is claimed that King Arthur's wise counsellor, Merlin the Magician, roamed these slopes in the guise of a hart, the small deer associated with royalty.
- ‘The moose is actually a hart - a male deer - which represents the hart part of Hertfordshire,’ says Tim Beesley, from Berkhamsted, Herts.
- A small deer sipped from a pond of clear water, the hart surprisingly not running as Rick rose and approached like deer tend to.
Old English heorot, heort, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch hert and German Hirsch.
More definitions of hartDefinition of hart in:
- The British & World English dictionary