Definition of hartebeest in English:
A large African antelope with a long head and sloping back, related to the gnus.
- Genera Alcelaphus, Damaliscus, and Sigmoceros, family Bovidae: three or four species, in particular the red hartebeest (A. buselaphus), which typically has a reddish-brown coat
- The grazers are mainly antelope, wildebeest, hartebeest, oribi, impala, gazelle, reedbuck, roan and sable antelope.
- Mixed herds of impala, wildebeest, zebra and hartebeest are a common sight; as there is safety in numbers.
- In September game was introduced to Klipriviersberg, a 615-hectare reserve 11 kilometres south of the city: five zebras, five blesbok, four red hartebeest, six black wildebeest and 12 mountain reedbuck.
Words that rhyme with hartebeestwildebeest • beanfeast
Definition of hartebeest in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan