Definition of hartebeest in English:
A large African antelope with a long head and sloping back, related to the gnus.
- Genera Alcelaphus, Damaliscus, and Sigmoceros, family Bovidae: three or four species, in particular the red hartebeest (A. buselaphus), which typically has a reddish-brown coat
- The grazers are mainly antelope, wildebeest, hartebeest, oribi, impala, gazelle, reedbuck, roan and sable antelope.
- Mixed herds of impala, wildebeest, zebra and hartebeest are a common sight; as there is safety in numbers.
- In September game was introduced to Klipriviersberg, a 615-hectare reserve 11 kilometres south of the city: five zebras, five blesbok, four red hartebeest, six black wildebeest and 12 mountain reedbuck.
Late 18th century: from South African Dutch, from Dutch hert 'hart' + beest 'beast'.
Words that rhyme with hartebeestwildebeest • beanfeast
Definition of hartebeest in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.