- A plutonic rock of the peridotite group consisting largely of orthopyroxene and olivine.More example sentences
- The peridotite is dominantly serpentinized harzburgite, ranging from fresh to 70% altered, with minor pyroxenite, dunite and chromite pods.
- The lowermost rocks are serpentinized dunite and harzburgite, which are best exposed in the NE of the ophiolite.
- Stratigraphically from bottom to top it is composed of sheared serpentinite on the basal thrust, layered harzburgitedunite, layered dunite with chromitite, and harzburgite with finegrained gabbro.
late 19th century: from Harzburg, the name of a town in Germany, + -ite1.
More definitions of harzburgiteDefinition of harzburgite in:
- The British & World English dictionary