Another term for hackle (sense 3 of the noun).
- One of these books contained illustrations of a hatchel and described how it was used.
- In this issue we will learn about that often overlooked tool used in flax processing, the hackle, also called a hatchel or a hetchel.
- After opening the small cover, you will see two trails, right side and left side, where the hatchels shall be fixed, being toothed or straights.
another term for hackle.
- After the flax had been hatcheled, it was in the form of short, broken fibers called tow.
- Instead of sowing five pecks to the acre, sow five or more bushels, and you will raise flax as soft as silk; from such flax fibres can be hatcheled as fine as spinster's webs.
- Flax was raised, and after grandfather had broken, swingled and hatchelled it, grandmother spun it into thread, which sold for $1.50 per pound.
Middle English hechele, related to hook.
Definition of hatchel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.