Definition of hatchetfish in English:
noun (plural same or hatchetfishes)
A deep-bodied laterally compressed tropical freshwater fish of the New World. It is able to fly short distances above the surface of the water by beating its broad pectoral fins.
- Family Gasteropelecidae: three genera, in particular Gasteropelecus, and several species
- Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.
- A night dive here revealed night shrimp, hatchetfish, cardinalfish and a Spanish lobster.
- Resident giant grouper, turtles and schools of hatchetfish reside below the jetty.
Definition of hatchetfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia