- I saw a neat vegetable patch the other day, with the onion haulms all pushed over, straightened and laid in the same direction to allow the sun to get at the tops.
- As the haulms grew they were top dressed with the same compost as before and supported by canes and string.
- In reality organic potato producers frequently have to remove potato haulms early because of foliage blight.
- Sulphuric acid is widely used to wither the leafy foliage, or haulm, on potatoes before harvesting.
- Before harvesting haulm is pulled, cut or killed using chemicals. In general haulm destruction takes place 10-15 days before harvest.
- Straw or haulm from treated crops must not be used as animal feed (or bedding) for at least 4 days after last application.
Old English healm, halm, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch halm and German Halm, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin culmus 'stalk' and Greek kalamos 'reed'.
Words that rhyme with haulmconform, corm, dorm, form, forme, lukewarm, Maugham, misinform, norm, outperform, perform, shawm, storm, swarm, transform, underperform, warm
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of haulm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.