Definition of haute couture in English:
1The designing and making of high-quality fashionable clothes by leading fashion houses, especially to order.
- Once the preserve of haute couture designers, London Fashion Week is embracing the clothing revolution by giving official recognition to the high street and supermarkets.
- Born in Stockholm, Sweden, the artist trained for three years in design crafts and haute couture dressmaking and created one-off garments sold in boutiques in Stockholm.
- Compared to Dior, Armani's haute couture is certainly a lot less dramatic, but there was certainly a more distinct difference between this collection and the normal RTW collections.
1.1Expensive, fashionable clothes.
- Unlike haute couture, prêt-à-porter clothing isn't one of a kind.
- Her dress, something between a medieval period costume and the latest haute couture, trailed behind her as the wind lifted it softly above the ground.
- Despite the attempt by the forum to insist on casual dress, it is hard to part many businessmen from their suits, or their wives from their haute couture.
early 20th century: French, literally 'high dressmaking'.
Definition of haute couture in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia