Definition of haute cuisine in English:
1The preparation and cooking of high-quality food following the style of traditional French cuisine.
- By 1900, skilled chefs were turning out elaborate multicourse meals in the style of French haute cuisine for the wealthy.
- Auguste Escoffier invented the French haute cuisine and extolled its virtues throughout Europe.
- We never meet the jury but we know have seen them around exam times and know they are older extremely traditional haute cuisine chefs.
1.1High-quality food in the style of traditional French cuisine.
- While Urban Angel would never claim to serve up haute cuisine, it does provide the sort of good-value, comfortable city-centre venue that we all crave.
- If you really want to splash out, there is Silversea Cruises, which offers haute cuisine served on Limoges china washed down with vintage Dom Perignon, all for around £1,000 a day.
- He has made a small fortune in past months pulling rainbows and crayfish out of the beck to be served up as haute cuisine by the Innkeeper's Lady.
early 20th century: French, literally 'high cooking'.
Definition of haute cuisine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan