Definition of haute cuisine in English:
1The preparation and cooking of high-quality food following the style of traditional French cuisine.
- By 1900, skilled chefs were turning out elaborate multicourse meals in the style of French haute cuisine for the wealthy.
- Auguste Escoffier invented the French haute cuisine and extolled its virtues throughout Europe.
- We never meet the jury but we know have seen them around exam times and know they are older extremely traditional haute cuisine chefs.
1.1High-quality food in the style of traditional French cuisine.
- While Urban Angel would never claim to serve up haute cuisine, it does provide the sort of good-value, comfortable city-centre venue that we all crave.
- If you really want to splash out, there is Silversea Cruises, which offers haute cuisine served on Limoges china washed down with vintage Dom Perignon, all for around £1,000 a day.
- He has made a small fortune in past months pulling rainbows and crayfish out of the beck to be served up as haute cuisine by the Innkeeper's Lady.
Early 20th century: French, literally 'high cooking'.
Definition of haute cuisine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.