Definition of hawkweed in English:
A widely distributed plant of the daisy family, typically having small yellow dandelionlike flower heads and often growing as a weed.
- Genus Hieracium, family Compositae
- The ancient Greeks believed that the sap of hawkweeds was responsible for the keen eyesight of hawks.
- He has been studying hawkweed as a candidate for biocontrol.
- In lawns, mowing of hawkweeds is ineffective because the low-lying rosettes are missed by mower blades.
Definition of hawkweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan