- 2chiefly • historical Denoting the ordinary type of rope commonly used in ships' rigging, typically made of three left-handed strands twisted together right-handed.More example sentences
- On a ship, coils in hawser-laid rope are always formed clockwise.
- Manila hawser-laid rope is supplied to the Royal Navy in coils of 120 fathoms.
- We greeted the arrival of more locals carrying hawser-laid rope with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.
More definitions of hawser-laidDefinition of hawser-laid in:
- The British & World English dictionary