Definition of hawthorn in English:
A thorny shrub or tree of the rose family, with white, pink, or red blossoms and small dark red fruits (haws). Native to north temperate regions, it is commonly used for hedges. Also called may2, quickthorn, or whitethorn.
- Genus Crataegus, family Rosaceae: many species, in particular the European common hawthorn (C. monogyna)
- There are silver birch trees, hawthorn, field maple and guelder rose at the woodland edge.
- In the distance you can see a number of rambling, overgrown hawthorns with a tree growing through them.
- This medicinal herb comes from the leaves and fruit of the hawthorn tree, found throughout Europe.
Words that rhyme with hawthornwartorn • blackthorn
Definition of hawthorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.