Definition of hazel in English:
1A temperate shrub or small tree with broad leaves, bearing prominent male catkins in spring and round hard-shelled edible nuts in autumn.
- Genus Corylus, family Betulaceae: several species, in particular the common Eurasian hazel (C. avellana), formerly widely managed as coppice
- The marsh gave way gradually to dry land, and the reeds and willows to hazels and elders.
- He could clearly distinguish elders, hazels and sloes.
- The oak tree across the road is practically bare but the beeches and hazels behind it are still fully leafed.
2A reddish-brown or greenish-brown color, especially of someone’s eyes.
- He was the taller of them, with sharp blue eyes and hazel coloured hair.
- Her eyes, hazel in colour, were very piercing.
- She couldn't quite put her finger on the colour; not quite hazel, not quite green.
Definition of hazel in:
- British & World English dictionary