Definition of hazel in English:
1A temperate shrub or small tree with broad leaves, bearing prominent male catkins in spring and round hard-shelled edible nuts in autumn.
- Genus Corylus, family Betulaceae: several species, in particular the common Eurasian hazel (C. avellana), formerly widely managed as coppice
- The marsh gave way gradually to dry land, and the reeds and willows to hazels and elders.
- He could clearly distinguish elders, hazels and sloes.
- The oak tree across the road is practically bare but the beeches and hazels behind it are still fully leafed.
Words that rhyme with hazelappraisal, nasal, phrasal • wych
Definition of hazel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan