Definition of headmaster in English:
(Especially in private schools) the man in charge of a school; the principal.
- I am a private school headmaster, and this has been a problem for a couple of years now.
- To make matters worse, the school belonged to a ghastly, gruesome headmaster named Mr Dowd.
- Eight principals or headmasters were initially contacted.
- Example sentences
- Under the headmasterly rule of His Excellency the Life President Ngwazi Dr Hastings Kamuzu Banda (to give him his official moniker), Malawi was peaceful, tidy, friendly, and decidedly old-fashioned.
- If Guthrie wishes to be seen as having left the world of hemline journalism behind him, now is his heaven-made chance to demonstrate a headmasterly fairness and impartiality - one that is quite clearly beyond Marr and the boys.
- But, even though she was reputed to be somewhat headmasterly over the usage of English, she had a charming and engaging social presence.
Definition of headmaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia