Definition of heart-rending in English:
(Of a story or event) causing great sadness or distress.
- At the moment of judgement, some displayed surprise, some anger, others a heart-rending sadness.
- Their stories are heart-rending and I am glad we are able to offer them the chance of safety and a better life.
- The storyline of the opera focuses on the heart-rending love story between the poet Rodolfo and the seamstress Mimi, a fragile but resolute girl.
- 1heart-rendingly adverb
- Example sentences
- It was so again at Netherdale on Friday evening as, heart-rendingly, the Borders' hopes of proceeding in the Parker Pen Challenge Cup expired.
- Didn't I make you cry, with my heart-rendingly honest ‘confessional’ pieces?
- If she is cautious ascending to high C at the climax of the love duet, almost everything else she does is heart-rendingly truthful.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.