Definition of heart-rending in English:
(Of a story or event) causing great sadness or distress.
- At the moment of judgement, some displayed surprise, some anger, others a heart-rending sadness.
- Their stories are heart-rending and I am glad we are able to offer them the chance of safety and a better life.
- The storyline of the opera focuses on the heart-rending love story between the poet Rodolfo and the seamstress Mimi, a fragile but resolute girl.
- Example sentences
- It was so again at Netherdale on Friday evening as, heart-rendingly, the Borders' hopes of proceeding in the Parker Pen Challenge Cup expired.
- Didn't I make you cry, with my heart-rendingly honest ‘confessional’ pieces?
- If she is cautious ascending to high C at the climax of the love duet, almost everything else she does is heart-rendingly truthful.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan