1A person who is very attractive but who is irresponsible in emotional relationships.
- And I have had my heart broken nearly as often as I have been the heartbreaker.
- People of all sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, genders, nationalities and colors have the potential to be perennial heartbreakers or devoted lifelong partners.
- It's one thing if they're concerned your new dude is a real dud (he holds the running record for most days in detention) or a total heartbreaker (he's dumped his last six GFs like a bad habit).
2A story or event that causes overwhelming distress.
- This election was a heartbreaker, and the country is in for a very bumpy four years I'm afraid.
- Chocolate is definitely the heartbreaker when it comes to healthy eating habits.
- Yet it's entirely possible for Manhattan to go unbeaten the rest of the way, finish something like 26-3 - then drop a heartbreaker in the MAAC Tournament and not get an at-large bid.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of heartbreaker in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.