- 1The floor of a fireplace: the crackling blaze on the hearthMore example sentences
- Everything in sight was painted - tiled fireplaces and hearths, walls and floors, stairs and rails, and even the kitchen sink!
- Slate is quarried stone used for fireplaces, hearths, and floors in the home.
- This metamorphic rock works equally well for floors, hearths and fireplaces, backsplashes, counters, and patios.
- 1.1The area in front of a fireplace: they were sitting around the hearthMore example sentences
- When I got the pictures back, Grandpa was sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace.
- Inside of the cave, there were leaves and a fireplace, with a large mat in front of the hearth for sleeping.
- Smaller area and scatter rugs can be ideal for adorning smaller spaces - a hearth, a bedside, the area in front of a kitchen sink - with a splash of color and warmth.
- 1.2Used as a symbol of one’s home: he left hearth and home to train in DenmarkMore example sentences
- In history, Vesta was the protector of the hearth and home.
- The stage is set, and it is so small; it is the hearth and home.
- Only when these are dealt with satisfactorily does the mini-micro world of the hearth and home get a mention.
- 1.3The base or lower part of a furnace, where molten metal collects.More example sentences
- A reverberating furnace with two hearths heated a roaster to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit to calcine the ore.
- Externally they are plain, internally they are complex with the curves of furnace and hearths and an impressive wooden gantry.
- Modern excavations at Giza have found remnants of copper and even the hearths or kilns used to process the metal into tools.
Old English heorth; related to Dutch haard and German Herd.
More definitions of hearthDefinition of hearth in:
- The British & World English dictionary