Definition of heat shield in English:
1A device or coating for protection from excessive heat.
- Andy Tyler has built a jet-powered shopping cart whose engine ‘glows red hot at temperatures up to 600°C, so he has to sit with his back to a heat shield.’
- A front spoiler, side skirts, radiator grille and sports exhaust with a specially-designed heat shield give the car an elegant look.
- The engine glows red hot at temperatures up to 600°C, so the driver needs a heat shield.
1.1An outer covering on a spacecraft, especially on the nose cone and leading edges, to protect it from the heat generated during re-entry into the earth’s atmosphere.
- The engineers will be working for the next few months to analyze the performance of the heat shield that protected the spacecraft as it slammed into Mars' atmosphere.
- The service module, and the orbital module are burned in the Earth's atmosphere, whilst the re-entry module uses its heat shield to make a safe return.
- Unlike those two modules, the command module containing the crew is equipped with a heat shield and took a different flight profile, entering the Earth's atmosphere about 25 minutes before landing.
Definition of heat shield in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan