1A purple-flowered Eurasian heath that grows abundantly on moorland and heathland. Many ornamental varieties have been developed. Also called ling2.
- Calluna vulgaris, family Ericaceae. This family includes the rhododendrons and azaleas as well as the blueberries and many other berry-bearing dwarf shrubs.
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias, pieris, skimmia, citrus and many others must have acid soil.
- Have you ever investigated all the available varieties of heaths and heathers?
- Skimmias also like to grow in slightly acid soil, making them superb companions for the heathers and ivies of your choice.
1.1 informal Any plant of the Ericaceae family similar to heather; a heath.
- Example sentences
- There are warm heathery notes of the toasted Languedoc soil among the bright strawberry and plum tones.
- This is a wine that Ryanair needs to watch out for: it can transport you in a Proustian rush to the dry, heathery heat of an evening north of Carcassonne for less than £9 return.
- Even tweeds and heathery mixtures camouflage soil.
Words that rhyme with heatheraltogether, feather, leather, nether, tether, together, weather, wether, whether
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of heather in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.