nounBack to top
- (the heave-ho) Expulsion or elimination from a job, institution, or contest: conjecture over who’ll get the heave-hoMore example sentences
- Give pretzels the heave-ho but don't dismiss whole-grain breads.
- Therefore, attrition rates at IT companies should also differentiate between those who are leaving voluntarily for greener pastures and those who have been given the heave-ho.
- After her high school sweetheart gives her the heave-ho, she pins her dreams of seeing the world on becoming a flight attendant.
late Middle English: from heave! (imperative) + ho2, originally in nautical use when hauling a rope.
More definitions of heave-hoDefinition of heave-ho in:
- The British & World English dictionary