- A distorted form of stalactite, typically resembling a twig.More example sentences
- This has all the usual features one might expect in a cave - hundreds of stalagmites, stalactites and even helictites (strangely twisted stalactites).
- At Lehman Caves, sign up early for one of the guided tours through an otherworldly half mile of stalactites, stalagmites, and twisting, straw-shaped helictites.
- Near the end, a moderate crawl led to another cluster of crystals and helictites, though only a few of the group bothered with the crawl.
late 19th century: from Greek heliktos 'twisted', on the pattern of stalactite.
More definitions of helictiteDefinition of helictite in:
- The British & World English dictionary