The region of space, encompassing the solar system, in which the solar wind has a significant influence.
More example sentences
- Voyager 1 has left the termination shock to enter the heliosphere, a region still influenced by the solar wind.
- Its measurements show that the fast wind predominates in the heliosphere, which is a huge bubble blown into interstellar space by the Sun's outpourings, and extending far beyond the outermost planets.
- The fast solar wind from the polar regions flowed uniformly to fill a large fraction of the heliosphere, and variability was confined to a narrow region around the solar equator.
- More example sentences
- These are charged particles travelling through space that are constrained to travel along the galactic and heliospheric magnetic field lines, like on rails.
- Smith was chosen ‘for his pioneering studies of the solar and heliospheric magnetic fields in deep space and of planetary magnetic fields and their interaction with the solar wind.’
- The solar and heliospheric research communities are dedicated to promoting enhanced understanding of, and predictive capabilities for, solar disturbances that propagate to the Earth.
Pronunciation: /ˌhēlēəˈsferik, -ˈsfi(ə)rik/adjective
Definition of heliosphere in:
- The British & World English dictionary