1A poisonous winter-flowering Eurasian plant of the buttercup family, typically having coarse divided leaves and large white, green, or purplish flowers.
- Genus Helleborus, family Ranunculaceae
More example sentences
- All hellebores flower in winter or early spring from buds formed during the previous summer.
- As well as carpets of snowdrops in the five-acre garden, there are hellebores and other winter flowering plants to admire.
- It's no surprise that in a recent worldwide poll commissioned by the Hardy Plant Society, hellebores were voted second favourite flower family.
1.1 another term for false hellebore.
Definition of hellebore in:
- The British & World English dictionary