1A poisonous winter-flowering Eurasian plant of the buttercup family, typically having coarse divided leaves and large white, green, or purplish flowers.
- Genus Helleborus, family Ranunculaceae
More example sentences
- All hellebores flower in winter or early spring from buds formed during the previous summer.
- As well as carpets of snowdrops in the five-acre garden, there are hellebores and other winter flowering plants to admire.
- It's no surprise that in a recent worldwide poll commissioned by the Hardy Plant Society, hellebores were voted second favourite flower family.
1.1 another term for false hellebore.
Old English (denoting any of various plants supposed to cure madness), from Old French ellebre, elebore or medieval Latin eleborus, via Latin from Greek helleboros.
Definition of hellebore in:
- The British & World English dictionary