- A reddish-black mineral consisting of ferric oxide. It is an important ore of iron.More example sentences
- The red sandstone is made up of quartz grains coated with hematite, an iron oxide mineral that gives the stone a red colour.
- Like hematite, some goethite is pseudomorphic after a rhombohedral carbonate mineral.
- The fluids that precipitated the veins were a likely source for some of the iron that formed the hematite.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek haimatitēs (lithos) 'bloodlike (stone)', from haima, haimat- 'blood'.
More definitions of hematiteDefinition of hematite in:
- The British & World English dictionary