- An iron-containing compound of the porphyrin class that forms the nonprotein part of hemoglobin and some other biological molecules.More example sentences
- This turnover releases significant amounts of the iron-free portion of heme, porphyrin, which is subsequently degraded.
- The majority of photosensitizers are derivatives of hematoporphyrin, a synthetic porphyrin synthesized from heme.
- The active site or prosthetic group of all the cytochromes is an iron containing porphyrin, or heme.
1920s: back-formation from hemoglobin.
More definitions of hemeDefinition of heme in:
- The British & World English dictionary