noun (plural same)
- A plant of a genus that comprises the daylilies.
More example sentences
- Genus Hemerocallis, family Liliaceae
- In summer, traditional perennials take over, and peonies, irises and hemerocallis fill the flowery brook.
- Perennials such as iris or hemerocallis will show a noted decrease in blooms over the years if they are not divided.
- Geraniums, phloxes, eupatoriums and hemerocallis are split less often - perhaps every three to four years.
modern Latin, from Greek hēmerokallis 'a lily that flowers for a day', from hēmera 'day' + kallos 'beauty'.
More definitions of hemerocallisDefinition of hemerocallis in:
- The British & World English dictionary