noun (plural hemipenes /-ˌpēnēz/)Zoology
- Each of the paired male reproductive organs in snakes and lizards.More example sentences
- Despite these anatomical differences, amniote penises and hemipenes share some basic similarities: they are all more or less cylindrical, and they are all hydrostatic.
- Sex was determined by everting the hemipenes of males.
- Our studies on gartersnakes (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) reveal significant morphological asymmetry in this system: testes, kidneys, and hemipenes on the right-hand-side of the body are larger than those on the left.
More definitions of hemipenisDefinition of hemipenis in:
- The British & World English dictionary