- A protein containing copper, responsible for transporting oxygen in the blood plasma of arthropods and mollusks.More example sentences
- It is intriguing that crustaceans seem to express either hemoglobin or hemocyanin but not both proteins.
- One grasshopper embryo has a protein that closely resembles hemocyanin in sequence, but no oxygen binding studies to confirm its function have yet been done.
- The ontogeny of crustacean hemocyanin, the copper-based oxygen transport protein, has been studied in relatively few species, including Nephrops norvegicus and Homarus americanus.
More definitions of hemocyaninDefinition of hemocyanin in:
- The British & World English dictionary