- A red protein responsible for transporting oxygen in the blood of vertebrates. Its molecule comprises four subunits, each containing an iron atom bound to a heme group.More example sentences
- The key, she believes, may be the iron content of the blood and muscle proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin.
- The main task of red blood cells is to transport oxygen bound to haemoglobin from the lungs to the tissues.
- The red blood cells carry red blood protein called haemoglobin.
mid 19th century: a contracted form of hematoglobulin, in the same sense.
More definitions of hemoglobinDefinition of hemoglobin in:
- The British & World English dictionary