Definition of hen in English:
1A female bird, especially of a domestic fowl.
- He hid near nests of black woodpeckers, kingfishers, northern hazel hens and Eurasian sparrow hawks.
- Tragically it's beyond them to understand the instinct that will make even a domestic hen attack anyone coming between her and her chicks.
- The female red junglefowl is leaner than tame hens.
1.1 (hens) Domestic fowls of either sex.
- The only things living were a sow, her piglets, and some hens scratching in the dirt.
- Shot over a five-year period, the programme reveals secret glimpses into the ordinary, everyday life of cattle, sheep, hens and wildlife on the Cotswold slopes.
- Children will also delight in the baby piglets, kittens, ducks, and hens that roam free.
1.3A female lobster, crab, or salmon.
- Down below me in a shallow margin I watched a ragged hen salmon, bursting with eggs, preparing to spawn with a huge cock fish that had a kype like a fist and a tail like a shovel.
- It went into the ‘fish bank’ - a cage in the river where the best hens are kept for breeding at the end of the season.
as rare (or scarce) as hen's teeth
- Extremely rare.Example sentences
- She acknowledged the existence of differences between men and women, but argued that the reason ‘women are as scarce as hen's teeth’ in academia is due to discrimination.
- In Australia (where I'm from) these units are as scarce as hen's teeth.
- Good, dedicated filing clerks are as rare as hen's teeth.
Definition of hen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan