Definition of henequen in English:
1A fiber resembling sisal, chiefly used for twine and paper pulp.
- Most in this area produced henequen, an agave fibre that we know under the name ‘sisal’ and which the Mexicans nicknamed ‘green gold’.
- Baskets, mats, and hammocks are woven from plant fibers such as henequen.
- He is the author of ‘The Green Republic: A Conservation History of Costa Rica,’ and is completing a manuscript on the history and ecology of the Yucatan henequen industry.
2A Central American agave from which henequen fiber is obtained.
- Agave fourcroydes, family Agavaceae
- Potential sources being tested include soy, hemp, ramie, kenaf stems, pineapple and henequen leaves, and banana stems.
- They labored on vast tobacco, sugarcane, and henequen plantations, in virtual slavery enforced by their continuing debt to the landowners.
Early 17th century: from Spanish jeniquen, from a local word.
Definition of henequen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.