A track and field event, in particular one for women, in which each competitor takes part in the same prescribed seven events (100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200-meter dash, long jump, javelin, and 800-meter run).
- Last year, she had two no-jumps in the long jump during the heptathlon at the World Athletics Championships.
- Synchronized swimming was held for the first time; other Olympic debuts were women's 400 meters hurdles and the heptathlon, replacing the pentathlon.
- ‘It's very rare in the heptathlon for an athlete to produce seven great events,’ she said.
- Example sentences
- It could be that Shannan will become a pentathlete or a heptathlete, but she may decide to specialise in the sprints or on middle-distance.
- Originally a heptathlete, Dragila tried pole vaulting for the first time at age 23.
- Her twin sister Lindsay, a former heptathlete at Brown University, now competes in pole vault and finished eighth at 2004 Trials.
1970s: from hepta- 'seven' + Greek athlon 'contest', on the pattern of words such as decathlon.
Words that rhyme with heptathlonbiathlon, pentathlon, tetrathlon, triathlon
Definition of heptathlon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.