noun (plural herbariums or herbaria /-ˈbe(ə)rēə/)
- 1A systematically arranged collection of dried plants.More example sentences
- All materials examined are deposited at the spirit collection and the herbarium of the Botanical Museum of Cordoba, Argentina.
- Pollen material was obtained from the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Voucher specimens were deposited in the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
- 1.1A room or building housing a collection of dried plants.More example sentences
- Apart from the rooms where patients are treated, the main clinic from which he works in Kitarare, has a nursery and there are plans for an herbarium.
- Both herbaria house a broad collection of specimens from North American representatives of the genus Arabis.
- Most herbaria house morphologically unidentifiable immature collections of Carex.
late 18th century: from late Latin, from Latin herba 'grass, herb'.
More definitions of herbariumDefinition of herbarium in:
- The British & World English dictionary