An animal that feeds on plants.
- This includes both carnivores such as wolves, which eat other animals, and herbivores such as cows, which eat plants.
- The previously discussed benefits of large size to a mammalian herbivore probably also accrued to large herbivorous dinosaurs.
- Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.
- Example sentences
- As with mammals, herbivorous dinosaurs of different body size probably selected different diets.
- The dugong is the only living herbivorous mammal that spends its entire life in the sea.
- Many of the extinct marsupial megafauna were large, herbivorous browsers, some weighing several tons.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of herbivore in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.